Saturday, July 20, 2013

Bottle half full and cup nearly empty

Since college, I have been carrying bottled water with me to school or everywhere else I go. Back then I drink a lot of water in the attempt of curbing my appetite and keeping a good weight. The last few years, I've been carrying canteen bottles or traveling coffee mug to make less environmental impact. Nowadays I only drink as much water as I need.

Initially I fill the bottle full of water, but then ending up just drinking a few sips here and there, then leave the rest of the water in the bottle, and after a few days, I would throw it out to refill with fresh water, because "stale water is not good for you". Over the years I learned to finish the water in the bottle before refilling or refilling only half a bottle, so that I don't have the need to throw away water.

Recently we have added fresh coffee, tea and snack in the office as a pilot program for just this year. The office serves Peet's coffee, which is too strong for me. But fresh coffee is no doubt better than instant coffee, which to me, has some kind of sour taste. I learned from experience that usually just a little bit of Peet's coffee would be enough to wake me up. So instead of getting a full cup of coffee, then just drinking a couple of sips and leaving the rest to cold and eventually throwing it away, I learned to only take a little bit of coffee, like taking a shot of espresso, and enjoy the hot and fresh coffee as it is available.

It's good to remember the importance of consuming only what we need and be appreciative of what is available to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What To Do in a Rainy Sunday Before Election Tuesday?

It’s June 5th, 2022, and we are graced by unseasonal pouring rain. We rejoice with gratitude. We went to Main Street to have breakfast, then...