Saturday, July 20, 2013

Not that again

Like many people, when it comes to movies, I have a pretty strong opinion and can be quite stubborn. So don't be alarmed if I raise my voice or speak bluntly.

Today's topic is the movie: Inception. I only watched the movie once in the theater, and it was very complicated, so my memory and understanding could be quite misguided. Please forgive me if I misinterpreted parts of the story.

First, I applaud the film makers' attempt in making a movie about dreams, because everyone has very personal and intimate experiences with dreams that can be abstract and dynamic. I can also understand the needs to add exciting actions and state of the art special effects with complex plots to sell tickets.

To me the movie was unnecessarily over complicated. Someone seemed to have mixed challenging the audience with confusing the audience, and that's not funny.

What I am irritated about is the plot. It is flawed. This guy taking a team of people to take up this impossible task: going into someone's deep conscious to find the root of his psychological barrier and trying to temper it and his future decision making. They go into the dream within a dream within a dream... But at the end, he compromised the whole operation, and his team mates got shot, because he couldn't shake the memory and guilt of his dead wife, who kept destroying his operations by showing up in these dreams.

Huh? Really? And they expect people to buy it because they are entertained by the special effects and some pretty faces? So it's OK that they are totally confused?! Til now, I wonder if the film makers themselves knows what's going on in the movie.

Here's a more entertaining and simplified alternative, the South Park version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeg5zIUSvGU

No comments:

Post a Comment

What To Do in a Rainy Sunday Before Election Tuesday?

It’s June 5th, 2022, and we are graced by unseasonal pouring rain. We rejoice with gratitude. We went to Main Street to have breakfast, then...