Friday, May 30, 2014

Developing a taste

Being raised in Southern China, I am not big with bread or any baked goods, or so I believe. Jack never believes me and always tease me of making this up. See we mainly eat steam rice as starch.

In truth, I didn't really know how to use the oven until 10 years ago.

This one time many years ago when I lived alone in a nice apartment, I tried to bake by reading a cookbook. That was before the Cooking Chanel. Unfortunately I got stuck at the very first step: "Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees." I turn the oven on "bake", then set the temperature to 350, and saw the light went on. I was puzzled when the light was turned off all by itself. I was like, what's wrong with this oven? So I gave up.

I found out, accidentally from Jack, that the oven light automatically turns off when it reaches the desired temperature. See I could have found a manual to read and learn, but I just didn't have the passion for baked goods nor desserts, which would have driven me to learn baking on my own. Even today, I leave baking to Jack. All the measuring and mixing are just too much trouble.

Lately I've realized that the key to good tasting bread was the freshness. (Isn't it true for all food?)

One day, I exclaimed: I am developing a taste for bread.
Jack said: Sounds like a bunch of bullshit.

Whenever I told people I didn't like dessert, Jack would remind me immediately how much I like fresh donuts with my coffee. Yes, I admit, fresh donuts are good, it's so dangerous that I stay away from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What To Do in a Rainy Sunday Before Election Tuesday?

It’s June 5th, 2022, and we are graced by unseasonal pouring rain. We rejoice with gratitude. We went to Main Street to have breakfast, then...